Skēnographia is a series of free online creative lectures, workshops and talks to showcase and engage with the broad and diverse range of voices and disciplines in the scenographic world. These will take place on a monthly basis, alternating creative workshops, lectures and practical talks.
This project marks a milestone in the growth of scenography education in Ireland, aiming to facilitate discussion, exploration and innovation as well as defining standards for visual rigour and best practices, along with the current necessities of design for performance.
It also aims to give voice to the often neglected behind-the-scenes sphere, from costume-makers to stage crew, making visible key information, new technologies and developments that are fundamental to the growth of scenography as an art form in Ireland.
Online masterclasses will be announced in the coming weeks and months, see details of the first workshop below.
Remote Lighting Design: Pre-plotting Shows with Sarah Jane Shiels & Eoin McNinch
Date: Friday 16th July 2021
Lighting Designer Sarah Jane Shiels and Programmer and Chief LX Eoin McNinch will host a workshop showcasing their experience of a remote pre plotting session for the opera Hansel & Gretel, a co-production with Irish National Opera, Theatre Lovett and Abbey Theatre. Pre plotting is an important and helpful part of the lighting design process, but all too often this is the first session to be cut when delays cause time pressure. Having time before being in the theatre results in a stress free, creative environment, allowing the designer and programmer to see in a high quality pre visualisation how the design will look in real life. This workshop will show the end of a focus session, creating presets with intelligent lighting, building cues and running transitions. It will then compare the pre visualisation imagery to the final production photographs. We will be very interested in how the process could help other designers and programmers, and there will be an opportunity to discuss the pros and cons at the end.
– Remote Lighting Design: Pre-plotting Shows with Sarah Jane Shiels & Eoin Mc Ninch
– Design Brainstorming/Practical Making with Ger Clancy
– 3D Projection Mapping Workshop with Conan McIvor
– Gesture Drawing with Niall Laverty
– Design Led Theatre with Aedín Cosgrove & Molly O’Cathain
– Eco Scenography & Sustainability with Max Dorey & Saileog O’Halloran
– ‘When are we getting the real thing? Props & The Abbey Theatre” with Eimer Murphy
– Diversity, Inclusivity, Intersectional Accessibility & Inclusive Aesthetics in Theatre Design with Aisling Byrne
PRACTICAL BUSINESS / SELF EMPLOYED / SELF CARE
– Financial advice and planning for freelance designers with Peter Daly
– Emerging Designer Advice, Mentorship, Fees & Residencies with Lian Bell & Cian O’Brien
– Self-care/Mental Health / Time Management skills as a freelancer , facilitated by Claire Meaney & Maeve Butler at Waterford Healing Arts
You can find the latest information about Project’s accessibility here. Please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com or call 01 8819 613 .
Producer: Noelia Ruiz
Co-producers: Catherine Fay, Katie Davenport, Sarah Foley
Funded by the Arts Council of Ireland with a Theatre Resource Development Scheme Award.
Presented in association with Project Arts Centre